WSAC is for those who wish to learn more about winter camping. You will receive instruction in the fundamentals of cold weather camping/survival. Classes and activities include:
- Winter shelters
- And avalanche safety
Much of the instruction is based on the requirements from the Silver Winter Camping merit. You will sleep in the training center on Friday night, but you will spend the night in your shelter on Saturday. Come prepared to play outdoor games and to go tobogganing during the day on Saturday.
Commanders and Elite grads who wish to serve on staff have to be approved by the camp organizers!
- Register on Campwise. Registration closes two weeks ahead of camp.
- Pack all the items on the kit list yourself! That way you know where to find it.
- Arrive before 10am, leave your gear in the Training Center and report to Commander Kilde in the office. Camp starts on a Firday so you may miss a day of school.
- Arrange for your parents to attend your graduation at noon on Sunday, you go home with them after that.
- Make sure your Commander gives you credit for any merit requirements you achieved at camp (Primitive Shelters, Winter Camping)
- Staff have to be approved by the Camp Commander before registering on Campwise and need to get the online Pastoral reference form submitted by their lead pastor or designated pastor or board member. This needs to be filled out once a year
CAMP WILDERNESS LANDLINE
Join our Academy Facebook page.
WHAT TO BRING
Clothing (think layers):
- Winter hat (knit or other)
- Face Mask (or Balaclava)
- Jacket, Winter-weight
- Gloves or Mittens
- 1 pr. Boots (Winter-type)
- Sweatshirt (optional)
- 2 pr. Pants (jeans; military-type fatigue; cargo; or other winter-type trousers)
- 3 T-shirts (wicking-type is preferred; Royal Rangers or other)
- 4 pr. Socks (heavy-weight)
- Sleeping gear
- Sandals (shower shoes)
- Sleeping bag (warm Winter-weight or line with a blanket)
- Waterproof ground cloth (tarp) or plastic
- Flashlight w/ extra batteries
- Sharp Pocket Knife or Multi-Tool (w/sheath)
- Water Bottle
- Compass, Baseplate [‘Silva’-type]
- Matches, water-proof w/container
- Shovel (optional)
- Toiletry kit & mirror (Ziplock bag)
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Soap & shampoo (body wash)
- Towel & washcloth
- Lip Balm (chapstick)
- Pencil and Pens (2 ea.)
- Small Bible
- Personal First-aid kit (band-aids)
- Camera (optional)
All prescription medications must be checked-in with the Camp Medical Officer at registration.
NO Electronic Devices allowed at camp.